Abbeystead House Over Wyresdale Forest Of Bowland Lanca Flickr

Loading...

abbeystead house over wyresdale forest of bowland lanca flickr abbeystead house over wyresdale forest of bowland lancashire uk the elizabethanstyle country house was designed by john douglas and daniel fordham and built 188587 for the 4th earl of sefton then owner of the 7700 ha abbeystead estate, christ church is known as the shepherds church and stands in an isolated position to the west of the hamlet of abbeystead in over wyresdale part of the forest of bowland in lancashire there is a bar with hooks in the porch were shepherds can hang their crooks and all the stained glass windows depict a scene with sheep it is an active anglican parish church in the diocese of blackburn, over wyresdale retreat and renewal centre is a former vicarage in the hamlet of abbeystead it is set in the forest of bowland with panoramic views over the local fells it is next door to the shepherds church an additional resource available to visitors over the years our many visitors have found the centre a very special place to be, abbeystead in the forest of bowland on the leftmr robert ayrton chairman of parish hall committee and his grace at the opening ceremony opened by his grace the duke of westminster on august 11th 2007 the purposebuilt hall and grounds were provided with the generous support of grosvenor estates

Flickriver Most Interesting Photos From Marshaw England

abbeystead abbeystead lies close to the trough of bowland but even in medieval times was considered part of wyresdale rather than within the domain of that powerful local magnate the lord of bowland socalled lord of the fells abbeystead is located in the civil and ecclesiastical parish of over wyresdale , correspondence address over wyresdale parish hall co brook house abbeysteadla2 9dt christ church church of england over wyresdale rev cindy rigney 01524 793125 website over wyresdale horticulture society annual show held in august see website

Loading...

over wyresdale wyresdale 1246 formerly part of the forest of lancaster this district occupies the upper part of the wyre valley the river being formed by the union of two main sources called the tarnbrook wyre and marshaw wyre and then flowing west, abbeystead nothing much is known of the history of abbeystead before the norman conquest except that it was occupied from at least the middle of the prehistoric period the name is derived from the site of the abbey and relates to the shortlived presence of a house of cistercian monks in the reign of henry ii, the bustling market town of clitheroe lies in between the forest of bowland aonbs main upland block and the outlier of pendle hill the town retains much of its old character and customs and has a wide range of shops many of which have been run by the same family for generations, history it was designed by the chester firm of architects douglas fordham who added gun and billiard rooms in 1894 the estate holds the record for the biggest grouse bag in a day when on 12 august 1915 2929 birds were shot by eight guns shooters in 1980 the abbeystead estate totalling 18000 acres 73 km 2 and including the house

Loading...