Fulford And Naburn Hospital The Present Site Of The

fulford and naburn hospital the present site of the

Fulford And Naburn Hospital The Present Site Of The

in the early 1950s the then empty military premises were taken over by the nhs and reopened after refurbishment as the joint fulford general and maternity hospitals york city mental hospital became part of the nhs in 1948 under york a group hospital management committee it was renamed naburn hospital, oau carried out an archaeological watching brief close to fulford to the south of york on an area of land previously occupied by naburn hospital in the south of the site an iron age or romanobritish ditch was located together with regularly spaced ridge and furrow a postmedieval ditch and short length of undated gully, the fulford and maternity hospitals were two hospitals with separate nursing staffs but sharing the same site and some facilities they were created out of a wartime hutted hospital formerly a military and later a prisoner of war hospital which was handed back to the ministry of health in 1949

the new hospital was built near fulford south of york in wwii two temporary hospitals were built in the grounds and these became general and maternity hospital separate from naburn all three hospitals closed in the 1980s with naburns remaining patients transferred back to bootham park, around c1940 ems emergency medical service hutted hospital was developed to north east of grounds which briefly used part of the main hospital wards following wwii the ems site used as fulford maternity and general hospitalsduring 1960 70 a day hospital occupational therapy admission industrial therapy and social club were added, fulford was opened as a 149 bedded general hospital containing three gynaecological wards of 25 beds each a dermatological ward divided into two sections of 12 beds each for men and women and two geriatric wards for men and women of 25 beds each